Thursday, February 26, 2009

"Comes a time to fight for farmers" - An op-ed by Neil Young

MattNeil Young, a member of Farm Aid's board of directors, had an op-ed published in The Boston Globe today (a small typo sneaked in: the second paragraph should read, "Almost 150 years later" instead of "More than 200 years later"):

WHEN Abraham Lincoln formed the US Department of Agriculture in 1862 he referred to it as the "People's Department" because it served the common interest of so many Americans. America's concerns about food and the economy were addressed and investments in cutting-edge research guaranteed the nation's food security.

More than 200 years later, we are in the midst of a historic financial crisis and part of the solution lies with the "People's Department." It's time for our newest federal leaders to recognize the unmatched ability of family farmers to strengthen local economies. We can all learn from the ingenuity and innovation that family farmers demonstrate time and time again in the face of challenge.

Click here to continue reading the rest of the article.

4 comments:

  1. Great article, and great blog! I linked to you folks on my garden blog.

    Keep up the good work!

    bobbi c.
    Leander, TX
    http://www.earthly-gardener.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the article. But I would not be so quick to propose the USDA as the solution. THink ethanol and the devesting effect throughout the ag system from the mandates. Also, my guess is you have never had a loan with the USDA. We are sheep farmers in rural KY whose use and train border collies in all aspects of livestock work (a thing of beauty to behold!) and we can tell you a couple of stories on the absurdities of loans through the FSA system that would have you laughing if they weren't true! Bureaucracies are incapable of creating a solution to this situation. And...with only 1% of the population engaged in farming and most of the other 99% not caring, there is no will to solve this issue.

    Now I would hate to see all of our food production go off shore, wouldn't you? But it might wake some folks up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat Westhoff11:01 PM

    THE POCKET TEE PEOPLE EVERWHERE MUST NOW STAND UP FOR WHAT,S RIGHT & GOOD IN OUR WORLD. BEFORE WE ARE GONE & DONE. Pat Westhoff Franklin,Kansas,U.S.A.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pAT wESTHOFF11:10 PM

    Looking for a tractor and some seed to plant my 7 acres to The Three Sisters. Pat Westhoff Franklin,Kansas,U. S. A . A POCKET TEE GUY!!!

    ReplyDelete